How to choose the right outfit for dinghy/catamaran sailing
To choose your sailing outfit (dinghy or catamaran), you should take the weather conditions into account.
Each piece of your kit plays a specific role :
- The neoprene wetsuit is mainly to preserve body heat and keep you warm. The thicker the suit, the better the insulation. The suits designed for dinghy/catamaran sailing are specifically designed for this sport. For example, they contain rub-resistant reinforced areas, such as on the knees and glutes, a shape adapted to seated positions and flexibility allowing freedom of movement for manoeuvring.
- Gloves or fingerless gloves will protect you from rubbing. A pair of neoprene gloves will keep you warmer, but will allow less dexterity than a pair of fingerless gloves which, conversely, will be less warm.
- Boots protect your feet from knocks with the boat's fittings. Neoprene boots will also allow you to regulate your temperature. Grip is essential when manoeuvring.
- The anorak aims to reduce the chilling effect of the wind. Ideally it is waterproof and breathable, in order to better manage the differences in temperature between periods of activity and calmer moments. Pockets always come in handy for slipping away a shackle opener or a cereal bar ;-)
- TOPS. There are 2 types:
> Thermal tops, which you wear underneath your wetsuit to improve heat management. They will mainly be used in cold weather
> UV protect tops, which protect you from the harmful effects of the sun by creating a UV barrier, even when wet.
Based on that, here is the ideal outfit for dinghy/catamaran sailing :
1. Wear a life jacket and booties or shoes (certainly not boots), whatever the weather
2. In hot weather:
- 2mm neoprene shorty or short john.
- UV protect top
- Fingerless gloves
- Sun protection (cap, sunglasses, suncream for uncovered areas)
3. In cold weather:
- 3 or 4mm neoprene full-body suit,
- Additional thermal top for more comfort,
- Neoprene gloves,
- Woollen or polypropylene hat (which maintains heat even when wet) or a neoprene hood.
|How to choose the right outfit for dinghy/catamaran sailing|
|see all the Dinghy/Catamaran advice|
CR100+ Jr jacket dark blue 13 - £19.99
Men CR100 Oilskin Trouser Blue - £14.99
CHALLENGE 5mm x 10m - £7.99
28L watertight backpack - £39.99